Monday, November 30, 2009

The Smartfella? Just Got Back From New York City

Here is what caught my eye…
• Individual Walking…
o A significant number of people cannot walk the streets of NYC without earphones sticking in their ears.
o The rest of them cannot walk the streets without talking on their cell phones.
• Group Walking… All NYC residents live in apartments but they are not permitted to be in their apartments any more than six hours a day. By law they are required to walk up and down the streets the other eighteen hours.
• English Speaking Walkers… There are none.
• Multitasking… Some NYC residents have acquired the ability to talk on their cell phones and type on their computers at the same time.
• Corned Beef Sandwiches… $15.
• New York Times… $6 on Sundays.
• Waiter in Little Italy… I have been drinking Dark beers more than forty years. One of my favorite Dark beers is Heineken Dark. I asked my waiter if his establishment had Heineken Dark. He looked me right in my ignorant eyes and said, “Heineken does not make a Dark beer".
• Cabs… Every fifth car on NYC streets is not a cab.
• Airline Food… A single ginger tasting cracker.
• Pleasant Surprise… The people (except the above mentioned waiter) were friendly.
• Saddest Thing I Saw… Nine o’clock mass in a huge Catholic Church had somewhere between 40 & 50 people in it. You would think that, in a city of more than 19,000,000, people they could have scrapped up more than that.
• Fashion Trend Coming To Your Feet… You are going to love your feet! I saw numerous people wearing old fashioned looking tennis shoes (Converse/Keds) that were either bright Purple or bright Pink (men were wearing pink too).

Would I kid u?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have spoken of of some of the NYC negatives. It would be fair to also cite some of the counterbalancing fascinating positives. WHM

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming! Apart from that waiter, it was a fun visit.

SmartFella? said...

This is the Smartfella?
I have never commented on comments from commenters but here goes...
To WHM, I am surprised that you read my impressions of NYC as entirely negatives.
I have read them again, as a result of your comment and I now agree even more with me and not with you :).
Hardley any of it was intended to be negative.
I meant almost every single one of them as Interesting.
The most negative one was probably the waiter and, even then, I did not mean to imply that all NYC waiters were like this one. He was what he was/is. If he quit today and went to Hazelhurst, Mississippi to do his waitering, and I wandered in asking for a Dark Hieneken, he would still be the jerk that he is. He just would now be a Hazelhurst Jerk.
Just for the record, I Loved NYC.
Would I kid u?

Anonymous said...

Smart Fella----Great observations on your visit to NYC--I had a good chuckle while reading. You should have walked down the street and purchased a 6-pak of DARK and returnsted to the waiter and offered him one.

George H.