Thursday, September 07, 2023

I Won’t Say Making a Change of Address at the Post Office Is Impossible but Based On My Recent Personal Experience It Ain’t Possible

I hope My Dear Readers have been wondering where I have been but I won’t ask if they noticed I have been gone because I might not want to hear their answer.

************

We have moved about 25 miles north of where we have lived for more than 20 years and I am worried about the impending Cold Winter Months fast coming upon me. It has been a long time since I have lived this far north. I hope, at my advanced age, I will be able to handle the cold up here.

There have been times when I have traveled further north than where I am presently living now but I could handle the uneasiness that I felt creaking over me because I knew it was only temporary.

It ain’t temporary no more.

************

The U.S. Postal Service Has Come a Long Way

Or Has It?

It used to be so easy. You have moved your place of residence. You need to file a Change of Address with your local post office. You go to your local post office and fill out a Change of Address Card. You then forgot about it because the USPS handled it all. Your mail started arriving at your new address. It used to be so simple. It ain’t simple any longer because the USPS has become computerized.

Since all My Dear Readers are Sly, Cunning and Alert I know that each of you have taken note that I used the words “It Ain’t Possible” in the subject of this Blog Posting. (Yea, I can see that Blogspot's Software has a hitch in its get along and it is putting the Subject as part of the body of the Blog Posting. Please forgive me or Blogspot.)

I know what I am doing. I am a semi accomplished user of words.  I deliberately used those three words because they belong there. I wish they didn’t but they do.

In trying to get my mail delivery changed I have spent many hours...

Ø On my computer.

Ø On my phone.

Ø On hold waiting for someone to pick up the phone at my Computerized USPS.

Ø Waiting for a USPS Call Back because I was silly enough to fall for my USPS’s slick computerized offer to enter the cue and wait for it to call me back.

Ø Visited my new local post office to plead for help, assistance or someone to pay attention to me but I got none of any of the three.

My address is unchanged coming up on 4 weeks since I first submitted my change of address to my Computerized USPS (8/12/23).

My mail has stopped coming to my old house but is not coming to my new house. I find myself picturing a big snake that has swallowed a pig. If I ever start receiving all the mail that the USPS is holding inside that snake I am going to need a bigger mailbox. (Remind you of Jaws?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT9BeGNnCqw

************

Here’s one that you will not believe but it actually happened...

Yesterday I received a ray of hope that my mail would start up again. I got a letter from the USPS that addressed my Change of Address.

It appears that there are now two parts to the USPS Change of address Procedures. The Change of Address itself and something called Informed Delivery.

The other day I got into a Text Messaging Exchange (actually not much of an exchange because she did all the texting) with a USPS Associate/Employee/Ignorer or whatever they are being called now.

Ø Her: You have to complete the Official Change of Address Form and I see that you have done that.

Ø Her Again: The second part is updating the Informed Delivery Profile from the old address to the new address.

Ø Her Again: If this did not happen you would get notifications for the old address mail and the service would keep holding your mail because you have a Change of Address in place.

I double dare you to read that 3rd Bullet Point over and over and see if you ever get to an understanding of what the heck she was talking about.

The closest I can figure out is she said because I put in a change of address the USPS is holding my mail.

************

This Blog Posting has been going on for awhile so I’m sorry to keep pecking it out but I’ve got nothing else to do because I don’t have any mail to read.

I also got on the phone yesterday with a USPS Representative about Informed Delivery...

Ø I told him I never signed up for Informed Delivery.

Ø He said I have been signed up with Informed Delivery 7 years ago.

Ø I asked what Informed Delivery was.

Ø He said with Informed Delivery the USPS takes pictures of the envelopes of my incoming mail and sends those pictures to me so I would know what mail would be in my mailbox before it is in my mail box.

Ø I told him I have never received a single picture of yet-to-arrive-mail during this entire 7 years he said I have been signed up for Informed Delivery.

Here is the part where you are going to think to yourself...Fella, You Made This Up. The USPS Representative said to me, “That may be true but Informed Delivery does not cost you anything”.

Would I kid u?

Smartfella

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smart Fella -- since I live close you, I have been seeing you come and go from your domicile several times going to the mailbox to get your mail. If by mistake your old mail comes to my mailbox I will put it in the HOLD FOR THE NOTICER -- INFORMED BOX I have. Stay warm and UNSTRESSED.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'm rethinking the retirement home move. For less stress I'm prone to stay in my mansion. I can get a south of the boarder person to become my home personal manager. Therefore, I would not have to pay and arm and a leg for assisted living health care red tape. Growing old is complicated enough (going to doctors and hospital surgeries) without additional interference from government malfunctions. What opportunities is tomorrow going to present me!

Anonymous said...

You do realize that all these smart web designers coming out of smart universities must have a job. And to have job security, creativity and application of said innovations must then be implemented by the company you work for. RESULT --- more stress and confusion for the population.

Anonymous said...

Only the feds could have a process to send mail delivered to Ga. to florida to send back to the new address in Georgia.