Thursday, May 19, 2011

Appendix To … I Was So Shocked I Almost Ran Off The Road

I am so happy that I now have conclusive proof that at least one person is reading my Foolishness, even if it is a relative.

In response to my blog “I Was So Shocked I Almost Ran Off The Road”, my cousin sent me this info. I think the People Picture it paints is priceless and is proof that my original posting was right on the money.

I was out of the United States (Vietnam) when this happened and this is the first time I have been told about it…
  • My grandfather’s house in uptown New Orleans had very wide front steps that could accommodate around 20 people (neighbors and/or relatives).
  • Most nights In the 1940s the steps would be full of neighbors and/or relatives.
  • If one of these neighbors and/or relatives would have started talking about what was on TV that night, the rest would have really been puzzled about what a TV was.
  • On September 9, 1965 Hurricane Betsy hit New Orleans.
  • This is the hurricane that made the people in the New Orleans area fear future hurricanes.
  • Much of uptown New Orleans was without electricity for up to three weeks.
  • During that No Air Conditioning and No TV period of time the neighbors and or relatives returned to my grandfather’s front steps.
  • For a very short period in 1965 it was 1948 all over again.
I wish I would have been there but probably would not have appreciated what I was experiencing at the time. It very likely would have taken the hindsight of today to understand how nice those three weeks were.

To finish this one on a sad note, when the electricity came back on, the neighbors and/or relatives went back inside to their Air Conditioning and TV's and have not been seen since.

Would I kid u?
Smartfella

No comments: