Tuesday, February 06, 2018

In Recognition Of Our Volatile Stock Market

Here are 2 Blog Postings I wrote in 2009. They may be old but they are still Right On Target with a Touch of Humor Thrown In...Or are they?...Or is there?

June 2009...

The Stock Market Is Predictable…Or Is It?

I have always distrusted the Stock Market. I don’t like having my money subject to unexplainable influences.

 

Sometimes the Stock Market moves because of actual, factual and understandable forces. Sometimes it moves based on rumor, innuendo and statements or non-statements from anonymous sources whose brother-in-law’s neighbor may or may not know what he is talking about.

 

My unease about the Stock Market was verified yesterday. General Motors filed for bankruptcy and the Stock Market took a dramatic downturn … Right? … Wrong! The Stock Market went up 221 Points. Someone please explain that to me.

 

Years ago I pulled my meager resources out of the Stock Market. Considering what is currently happening to our Stock Market, the Smartfella, at present anyway, is proving that he is a Smart Fellow.

 

Now if only I could remember where I buried that coffee can, I would feel a lot better.

 

Would I kid u?

--------------------------

October 2009...

Why Do They Look So Happy? (Or More Puzzling) Why Do They Always Look So Happy?

There is one thing about the Stock Market that has always puzzled me. It happens at the closing of the New York Stock Exchange each and every day.

There is an overhang that looks out at the exchangers who have just finished their day’s exchanging.

 

If the Stock Market has gone up dramatically that particular day, there is a group of people standing on the overhang that are applauding and smiling and smiling and applauding. They look really happy!

On those days when the Stock Market has fallen like a heavy rock, there is another group of people standing on the overhang and they are applauding and smiling and smiling and applauding. They look really happy!

This does not seem to make sense. Why are they happy when the Stock Market goes up and are just as happy when the Stock Market goes down?

 

On those horrible down days do they not understand that fortunes have just been lost? Do they not see that lives have just been ruined? Do they not comprehend that in the next several hours a number of recently-used-to-be-rich people will be jumping out of tall buildings all over the country?

Maybe that is it! The people applauding on those crash days are the people who rent window space to that day’s jumpers. The used-to-be-rich are desperate to end it all and the Jumpers R Us Industry is always ready to serve. They advertise...

Space is limited. Take a number. Have a donut on us. We promise to move you through as quickly as possible.

Would I kid u?

Smartfella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they’re happy because the bar opens as soon as the market closes!

Ludwig said...

Sorry about messing things up. I had accumulated just enough money in my stock market account for a major purchase and was about to sell out. I had started that process when I could not set the bank account to move the money too. It took a couple of days, so my transaction did not go through, but the damage was done. The word was out that I was closing out and the stampede was on ...