Sunday, November 26, 2023

I Keep Saying I’m Smart and You Keep Thinking You Are Smarter Than I Am Smart. OK, Smarty, Prove It!

Explain this to me...

Ø As you know I just had 2 stents put into me.

Ø I have been given prescriptions for 2 drugs that are very important to me and my heart that is in me.

Ø One of the prescriptions is supposed to Prevent Clotting around My Stents.

Ø My pharmacist looked me straight in my disbelieving eyes and said, “That will be $261.89 for a one month’s supply”.

Ø My pharmacist did not seem the least bit sympathetic as I started to whimper.

Ø I said, “How many months will I have to take this prescription?”

Ø She calmly said, “That’s depends but you have been given 11 refills.”

Ø At this point my mind is racing to try and calculate how much 12 times $261.89 is.

Ø I won’t say I got it calculated exactly right in my head but I came close enough to almost have my heart attack me.

Ø Later my calculator and I figured it out exactly...$3,142.68.

Ø My mind was still racing as I thought to myself, “It’s really more than $3,142.68 because I am almost certainly going to be taking this pill more than a mere 12 months!”

Ø I accepted my predicament.

Ø I paid for my prescription.

Ø I went home and started taking my pills.

Ø Yes I whimper as each pill is taken.

************

Here’s the part of this Blog Posting where you get your chance to prove that you are smarter than Fella.

Eight days after the operation I had my first follow-up appointment with my Cardiologist (It gives one pause when he realizes that he now has his very own Cardiologist.)...

Ø My Medical Advisor (my daughter) says to my Cardiologist, “What about Plavix? Could not Plavix do the same thing as the $261.89 prescription?”

Ø My Cardiologist says, “Yes it could. I’ll write you a prescription for Plavix”.

Ø I did not yet know the significance of what my Cardiologist had just said but my Medical Advisor (my daughter) did and did she look pleased with what my Cardiologist had just said.

************

We are getting near the bottom of this Blog Posting so here is the Bottom Line...

Ø Plavix costs $6.00 per month.

Ø You don’t need a calculator to get to the annual cost of $72.00?...Or do you?

Ø Do you need a calculator to figure out that that $72.00 is $3,070.68 less than the $261.89 times 12 drug?

OK, smarty, show me how smart you are...

Why was I prescribed a drug that costs $3,070.68 a year more than another long-used proven far cheaper drug that does the same thing?

Don’t jump to the conclusion that it’s all about some the drug company and/or doctors making a lot of money. That the easy way out of this question and could not be the answer...Or could it not be?

Would I kid u?

Smartfella

 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To maintain your preeminence in the realm of sound critical thinking it is time to place full reliance on your daughter who obviously has more than you currently possess. Especially in matters of dollars and sense!!

A man, a Miss , a car, a curve, he kissed the Miss and missed the curve☠️! Burma Shave🍧🪒

Anonymous said...

The first cardiologist prescribed the expensive medication to your cardiologist so it’s only logical that he had to prescribe it to you to keep up his reputation in the pharmaceutical business

Ludwig said...

Glad that you are al fixed up and can worry about dollars. My cardiologist a while back prescribed (!) aspirin. Medicare paid for them. Not quite as good as Plavix.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the land of Big Pharma!

You may indeed be smarter than most of us smart people. Especially if your genes are taken into consideration.

Please remember to tell your wife that she can step down from the ceiling now. And into your arms. It's been hard on her, you know.

$3,000+ is a lot of money.

And welcome to the land of Imbedded Parts. You are a double-dipper, getting two for one. I only got one at a time but I'm still ahead by one.

Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

CALL ME IF I AM HERE BUT I WOULD STICK TO YOUR ADVISOR'S RECOMMENDATION.

Anonymous said...

CALL ME IF I AM HERE BUT I WOULD STICK TO YOUR ADVISOR'S RECOMMENDATION.