Friday, May 18, 2018

Part 2 … Remembering Growing Up Being Me And Me Being Surrounded By Those Crazy And Delightful People Who Surrounded Me

Above is the title to my 12/9/17 Blog Posting. This Posting drew more comments than any posting Fella has ever done. A Whole Big Bunch (actually a Whole Big Few) has clamored for me to add on other memories. This is the first other memory. There will be more.

 

If you want to skim through the original posting, click the link below. If not, skip the click and drop down to one of Fella’s Favorite Memories of his Crazy (actually very ordinary) Family.

 

Please don’t just read it. Picture It as you read it. You will probably be able to see some of your own Relatives drinking coffee, smiling, laughing, getting angry, jumping around and simply being just delightful.

 

The Original Posting... http://forii.blogspot.com/2017/12/remembering-growing-up-being-me-and-me.html

 

The Bigga Peace of 1950

(This is Italian for the Day We Made Peace in Our Family)

Christmas Day 1950...

Sometime before Christmas Day 1950 my Uncle Johnny had a falling out with the rest of my Mother’s Side of our Family or the rest of my Mother’s Side of our Family had a falling out with Uncle Johnny.  The end result was no one in the rest of the family was talking to Uncle Johnny and Uncle Johnny was talking to no one in the rest of the family for an extended period of time before Christmas Day 1950.  It was decided by my Grandpa that it was time to make up {our family used to call it, “Bury the Hatchet”}.

 

Here was the plan:

Ø Grandpa was going to invite Uncle Johnny and Aunt Josephine over for coffee on Christmas night.

Ø The rest of the family was told to arrive at a point in time after Uncle Johnny and Aunt Josephine had arrived.

Ø Uncle Johnny was not told that the rest of the family was coming over for coffee.

Ø After Uncle Johnny was into his coffee, the family would come in and the Burial of the Hatchet would take place.

 

To the best of my recollection these were the participants in The Bigga Peace of 1950:

Ø Grandpa Allessandro {Grandma Lucia was deceased since 1948}.

Ø My Father and Mother.

Ø Uncle Leon {I do not remember Aunt Yvonne being there but she may have been}.

Ø Uncle Malcolm and Aunt Carmela.

Ø Uncle Tony and Aunt Sarah.

Ø Little Person Fella {me age 9}.  I do not remember any other grandchildren being there.

 

It appeared to be a sound plan but it was not sound at all.  All of a sudden Uncle Johnny found himself surrounded by a whole bunch of people who were not talking to him.  Remember he did not know of The Bigga Peace Plan.  His reaction was to immediately get up and go to the room in the back of the house to take a nap.

 

I wandered down the hallway that led to the back of the house and got into my Grandpa’s roll-top desk and preceded to fiddle with things {I loved that roll-top desk}.

 

That left all the conspirators in the kitchen {including Aunt Josephine} drinking coffee but that did not last long.  Uncle Tony started talking real loud about “some people being rude” and how “some people did not have common courtesy” and such.  He was throwing his voice toward the back of the house really well.

 

As I was fiddling in the desk I heard a swish, swish, swish behind me.  I turned to see Uncle Johnny in his sock feet swishing his way up from the back of the house.  It seems he had decided to forgo his nap and had now decided he wanted to punch Uncle Tony in his nose.

 

By the time he got to the kitchen, everyone had jumped up and started shouting and pushing at other family members.  Some were shouting and pushing Uncle Johnny to keep him from getting at Uncle Tony.  Some were shouting and pushing Uncle Tony to keep him from getting at Uncle Johnny.  Uncle Johnny was pushing at and reaching over those that were pushing him in an attempt to get at Uncle Tony’s nose.  Uncle Tony was pushing at and reaching over those that were pushing him in an attempt to get at Uncle Johnny’s nose.

 

The end result was Uncle Tony was pushed out the front door of the house.  {I’m not sure I had ever seen that door open before that night.}  Uncle Johnny was held in check in the kitchen.

 

I remember going out the front door with that part of our shouting and pushing family.  I remember hovering around the outside group in the street on the General Taylor Street side of the house.  I don’t know if the outside group came in or the inside group came out but the next thing I remember was everyone and their noses sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee together.  Yes, dear reader, Uncle Johnny’s nose and Uncle Tony’s nose were at the table with the rest of the family’s noses.

 

The Bigga Peace of 1950 had worked like a charm.

 

Would I kid u?

FellaO (Formerly Little Person Fella)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent memory Former Little Fella!! More like this! Alessandro Rosolino

Anonymous said...

Good story, Fella!

Anonymous said...

Mom, Alex and I were probably upstairs celebrating my 8th birthday. Mom always baked me a birthday cake on Christmas and we celebrated my birthday Christmas night after the Christmas celebration. Alex and I heard the commotion and wanted to go downstairs to see what was going on but mom wouldn't let us. We watched from our bedroom window which overlooked General Taylor Street. Aunt Josephine invited the whole family over to her house for New Year's to seal the deal. Dad was planning to attend the 1951 Sugar Bowl game between Kentucky and Oklahoma but had to sell his ticket to attend the New Year Family Gathering at Uncle Johnny's house.

Anonymous said...

I love it when a plan comes together!!!........ I'm still smiling, and I am especially impressed with the tactic employed by your Uncle Johnny when confronted with all those disgruntled relatives. The next time we have a altercation in the my family, I think I am just going to get up and go take a nap.