Tuesday, January 02, 2018

An Old Serious Issue Is Still An Important Serious Issue If It Is Still An Issue

I hate the Scroll

Several years ago I took note of an Issue that I thought was important. I put it into a folder on my computer entitled, My Email “Wisdom” and promptly forgot about it.

 

For those of you who object to my calling my own Mind Wandering “Wisdom”, find something else you object to about me because I put the word “Wisdom” in quotation marks which, of course, means I acknowledge that my Wisdom may not be grounded in Intellectually Defensible Thought…Or is it?

 

I’m going to move on now because these first two paragraphs have confused me.

------------------------

This “Wisdom” started wandering through my mind as I was watching our president (it does not make any difference which president) was making a very serious speech in London, England.

 

During the entirety of his important speech (on CNN) that Infernal Scroll was scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

 

Is the serious speech important or not? If it is important, why is other information constantly being passed before our eyes? It is really hard to stay fixated on what is being said while the scroll is doing its best to distract our attention.

 

I would agree that a scroll is serving a useful purpose if it is giving us other more important information like…

Ø An atomic bomb has just destroyed Toledo.

Ø Jennifer and Chuck have just called it quits.

Ø No one left alive after an earthquake destroys Denver.

 

I was trying to not look at the scroll but, at one point while I was being distracted, I thought to myself...

Is it really necessary to scroll before me “Happy Birthday Larry King and Ted Turner” while the President is trying to convey serious information about important stuff?

 

It is time for me to swear. I made up the information about Toledo, Jennifer and Chuck and Denver but I swear I actually saw “Happy Birthday Larry King and Ted Turner” pass before my disbelieving eyes.

 

Would I kid u?

Smartfella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year To You and all above sharers of your wisdom: It would have been right if the scroll was for my for my birthday otherwise you are right as usual.

Anonymous said...

I have a different complaint about the scroll. Sometimes I am watching a replay of a tennis match and there on the scroll is the result of the match. It infuriates me that I cannot not see it. I would also comment that most of the time there is no scroll when the really important stuff is on, i.e., the commercials.

Happy New Year

Ludwig said...

If the scroll were only there when presidents or other important persons speak, it would indicate that the network is not that impressed by the words and images they are conveying. But during times they present "news", with their own VERY IMPORTANT PERSONS filling up most of the screen, the scroll provides information on other news topics. There are other "features" such as the Dow Jones price, the network logo, a banner showing the subject being discussed, the name of the talking head, scrolling background graphics, the current time (in some fr off location), and more. Not to mention the "BREAKING NEWS" banner which seems to be a fixed part of the screen design.

Clearly networks don't think of their presenters, oh, pardon me, their "anchors", as important or relevant features of their show and need to fill in with all that - is there a nice word for garbage?

Maybe I should not complain, but take all that as a true indications of the value the networks assign to their own work.

SmartFella? said...

Herr Ludwig, you are right about the constant presence of the "BREAKING NEWS" banner & allow me to thrown in the first words of every Bret Baier Fox News Program..."This is a Fox News Alert!" I often wonder if there was no news that day, would we hear, "This is a Fox News Alert! There is no news today."