Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Nelson Is Dead and Happy Is Out There Somewhere

I am old fashioned. I like the old days as exemplified by when Nelson Rockefeller got divorced and married Margaretta Large Fitler Murphy (otherwise known as Happy). By doing this divorce thing it is generally agreed that he ruined his chance to become a presidential candidate in 1964.

That was then and this is now … shucks. Now I have to listen to a talking head on TV saying that she admired the manner in which David Letterman handled his “situation”.

In Nelson and Happy’s day, David and his career as a late night entertainer would have been ruined. Now we have people saying they admire him and his manner handling.

Exactly what there is to admire about him and his manner handling is beyond old fashioned me. Does this speaking head “admire”…
 That he had his affairs with women that he had power over?
 That he had repeated affairs with various different women?
 That he made lots of jokes about his affairs and his women on his show?

Well the Smartfella? will get the last laugh when he sees David’s ratings fall like a rock. What’s that you say? You say his ratings are UP since he came “clean”? Can that possibly be?

I am so old fashioned that I am not Happy for David. I am surprised that David’s ratings are up. My being surprised proves how old fashioned I am.

Would I kid u?

No comments: